Luke 14:28-30 (KJV)
28 For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it— 29 lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish’? [Luke 14:28-30 (NKJV)]
That is the number one test that Jesus spoke by Himself and we are going to build on that today as we launch into this topic. I want also to read Matthew 25:1-13. It is a popular parable of the Foolish Virgins and the Wise Virgins. We called it The Ten Virgins.
READ Matthew 25:1-13
- You must understand the words, that Jesus doesn’t just use words in parables without meanings.
- For the most parts of this teaching today, we are going to be seeing the meanings and what Jesus Christ truly meant by using the word Virgins, the Lamp and the Oil.
In this end times, many things will be coming to us (will be coming to us) so fast. In fact the events seem so unpredictable and so fast at God’s own people. The people of God are facing diverse trials, they are facing trials in their health, they are facing trials in their finances, they are facing trials in their academic huddles, they are facing trials in their family issues, they are facing battles in so many fronts including their carriers and also in their emotional interests. And very recently, they are battling with this pandemic. But may I interest you that none of these took God by surprise on whatever has come to you as a person , or as a family or as a church or as a nation took God by surprise. And nothing you will see tomorrow will take God by surprise. In John 16: 33, Jesus told us or warned or prepared our hearts for the things that are happening these days. He said, “In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.(John 16:33)”. For you, He overcame every issues of life , He overcame mental issues for you, He overcame financial issues for you, He overcame physical health problems for you, He overcame academic huddles for you, He overcame marital issues for you, He overcame every spiritual forces fighting against you, He overcame the _____ so that nothing had taken by surprise. So, in John 14: 1, Jesus also said, “Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. John 14:1 (NLT Study Bible Text). So, He said all these, He knew it, He opened our eyes before it happened, so whatever is happening is nothing, whatever is happening is nothing and did not take God by surprise. Doesn’t that amaze you? Isn’t that so interesting that He got your back already? He got us already. He has us in His hands already.
The early Church also experienced trials and temptations and evil things that are so dare. Apostle Paul and his team faced similar trials, faced plagues. Writing to the Thessalonians in 1 Thessalonians 3:1-3, Apostle Paul said, “1 Therefore, when we could no longer endure it, we thought it good to be left in Athens alone, 2 and sent Timothy, our brother and minister of God, and our fellow laborer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you and encourage you concerning your faith,
As I am bringing this encouragement to you today, as I am bringing this word by the power of the Holy Spirit of God to encourage you that He is with you, He will never leave you nor forsake you. He will never abandon you. You will not be put to shame. You are not going down, your business is not going down, your marriage is not going down, your mind is not going down, your finances are not going down. I wish somebody will shout Halleluiah!
“and sent Timothy, our brother and minister of God, and our fellow laborer in the gospel of Christ, to establish you and encourage you concerning your fait 3 that no one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this, [Meaning, we are designed for this]. [1 Thessalonians 3:1-3 (NKJV]”.
No one should be shaken by these afflictions; for you yourselves know that we are appointed to this, meaning that we are designed for this. We are designed for this, we are designed for this, we are built though , we are built though, the one that manufactured us have manufactured with these in mind, we are built strong, we are like Him. We are like Him. We are like the lion of the tribe of Judah. We are like the rose of Sharon. We are like the Rock Himself. We are like Him. We are built for these kinds of days. We are built for seasons like these. We are built for times like these when men say “Casting Down” we shall say “Lifted Up”. We are built tough. The good news is, in spite of all these going on, the good is that God is working for your God. God is behind the scenes, behind the curtains, rolled up His sleeves and is working something good. God is cooking something good for you. You might look out of your window and nothing is happening, you may look at your backyard and nothing seems to be happening, you might look into your account and it seem like nothing is going on, you might look at your business and it seems like no money is coming in. People of God, God is working something for you. God is making a dinner for you. God is cooking up something great, something glorious for you.
So in 2 Corinthians 4:17, this is what God tells for times like this. “17 For our present troubles are small and won’t last very long. Yet they produce for us a glory that vastly outweighs them and will last forever! [2 Corinthians 4:17 (NLT Study Bible Text,)] You know as that verse says, “For we know that our present troubles, for our light and momentary troubles or afflictions are working for us an eternal weight of glory. So right now, almost all of our attention is focused on what is going on around us and it look like the earth will not endure. Yet the Bible said that these things are first small, they are light and they will not last very long. They are light afflictions and they are momentous. So, let us not focus on what is small let us not focus on what is light. Let us not focus on what won’t last long. Let us not focus on what is momentary. Rather let us focus on what will produce eternity. Let us focus on what will produce an eternal weight of glory, an eternal weight of glory. Let us focus on what will last forever and that is why we are going to talk about preparation. Whatever will produce eternal weight of glory requires preparation. Whatever that will produce everlasting result requires preparation.
- What things are we to prepare for?
- How do we prepare them?
What Things do I prepare for?
According to the title of the message,”
- PREPARE FOR THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS CHRIST”.
- Prepare for calling of Jesus Christ upon your life.
- Prepare yourself to use the gifts of God deposited inside of you (Prepare to use the gifts of the Holy Spirit, the gift of God deposited inside of you).
- Preparing for the Second coming of Jesus Christ:
We are now going to focus on No.1 and our text for this No.1 is Matthew 25: 1-13. Preparing for the second coming of Jesus Christ. The Parable of the Ten Virgins. There are things that we must remember about the second coming of Jesus Christ. There are things that we must remind ourselves, we must remember, and we must become fully aware about the second coming of Jesus Christ.
- Jesus had already told us and warned us about His return. The Angel, speaking to the disciples of Jesus, when Jesus Christ was taken up into the clouds, this is what the Angel told the disciples of Jesus in Act 1:11, 11 “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why are you standing here staring into heaven? Jesus has been taken from you into heaven, but someday he will return from heaven in the same way you saw him go!” [Acts 1:11 (NLT Study Bible Text,)].
In Matthew 25:13, Jesus Himself said, 13 “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming. [Matthew 25:13 (NKJV)]. Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
- Jesus takes His words very seriously. Matthew 24:35, Jesus says, “Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.” Remember that He just told us in Matthew 25:13, “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming”. And He told us in Act 1:11 that Jesus has been taken from us into heaven, someday He will return from heaven in the same way we saw Him go. We take His words very seriously.
- Jesus takes those who dishonor his word as not being worthy of spending eternity with Him. In Luke 6:46 Jesus said, 46 “But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? [Luke 6:46 (NKJV)]. Why do you call me Lord, Lord and not do what I said? In Matthew 7:21, Jesus said, 21 “Not everyone who says to Me, Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. [Matthew 7:21 (NKJV)]. He continues in verse 22-23, 22 Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’ [Matthew 7:22-23 (NIV)]. In other words, Jesus considers those who are not honouring His words as evil doers. May you not become one. May I not become one. May we not become people of evil doers.
- Jesus is coming for a Glorious Church . You as an individual is that Church, and I as an individual is that church, and we as people are that church. Jesus is coming for a Glorious you and Jesus is coming for a glorious me, Jesus is coming for a glorious us. Jesus is coming for you that is manifesting glory, that is showcasing His Glory. Jesus is coming for me that is manifesting His Glory in whose life His Glory is so conspicuous. Jesus is coming to a church, not to a building, to a church. A People that are manifesting His Glory. The Bible says that in the last days, He will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh. The Bible says that the Glory of the Lord shall cover the whole earth as water covers the seas. So, Jesus is coming for a church that has that kind of Glory. Now listen to what Ephesians 5:26-27. 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish. [Ephesians 5:26-27 (KJV)]. Ephesians 5:26-27 (NIV) says , 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.
To present her – meaning me the church, meaning me the church, meaning us the church – as a glorious church without sport or wrinkle or any blemish or any other blemish. She will be Holy and without a fault. This tells you and I that Jesus is coming for Holy church. Jesus is coming for holy you, Jesus is coming for a holy me, Jesus is coming for a holy people. It has to be a holiness that is palpable, it has to be a holiness knowable, it has to be a holiness that is experiential. It has to be a holiness that is testifiable. It has to be a holiness that is substantial, that Jesus will say “YES, I KNOW”. That even the demons, that even the hell will say, “Paul, I know, Jesus I know, You, I know, and they, I know “ – that is the church is the church that Jesus is coming to.
5) Jesus takes preparation very seriously, and He wants us to be fully aware that only those who are prepared and ready for His return will spend eternity with Him.
Matthew 25:10-12, Jesus said, “10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut.
11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ [Matthew 25:10-12 (NKJV)]
Those who were ready, went in with Him. Are you ready, if He comes now, are you ready? Are you ready? Is your family ready? Is your wife ready? Is your husband ready? Are your children ready? Are your parents ready? Is your community rapturable now? Are you ready? And those who were ready went in with Him to the wedding and the door was shut! And the door was shut! And the door was shut! 11 “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us!’ 12 But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.” May we not hear that. May we not experience that. May you not hear that at the end of time. May you not experience at the end of time. May your family not experience that at the end of time. May your generation never experience that at the end of time. Because that experience is more dangerous than Corona Virus. That experience is more deadly than any deadly sickness or disease.
Reading again from Luke 12:47,” And that servant who knew his master’s will”, Jesus is telling us about the need to prepare. In verse 47 of Luke 12, Jesus said, “47 And that servant who knew his master’s will, and did not prepare himself or do according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. [Luke 12:47 (NKJV)]. The will for Jesus for you and I is to be with Him in heaven forever. May you and I not be beaten with many stripes in the Name of Jesus. Amen.
Therefore, we need to prepare, we need to prepare, we need to prepare for His return. But the question I want to answer which I believe is in somebody’s heart is “WHY PREPARE FOR THE SECOND COMING OF JESUS CHRIST?” How do I prepare? How do we prepare? How do I prepare my family? How do I prepare my friends? How do I prepare my wife? How do I prepare my parents? How do I prepare my brothers and sisters. Many people know that Jesus is coming back but many people do not know how to prepare for rapture. We know that many are called but few are chosen, but many people do not know how to prepare in order to be chosen.
Ways to Prepare for the Second Coming of Jesus:
- Understand that you are a believer of Jesus Christ.
Understand that you are – as simple as that is, as ABC as that sounds – understand, you must understand that you are a believer of Jesus, and if you are a believer of Jesus, then you are a virgin. What that means is that your sins are forgiven, your sins are wiped out. The Bible says, “for they that are in Christ Jesus are new creations, old things have passed away, and behold, all things have become new.” If any man be in Christ, old things, old things that you have done passed away. They are done with. You are now brand new. It is as though you have never committed sin again because your old self is dead. So, as a believer of Jesus Christ, you are a virgin, you are redeemed, and you are washed by the blood. You are beautified and you sanctified by the Spirit of God, you are restored back to the untouched undefiled state. You are restored back to the untouched, undefiled, holy, changed state. In other words, you are now back in the garden of Eden before man fell. So, you are a virgin.
- Understand that you are now married to Jesus.
You are espoused to Him. You are betrothed to Him. Just like Virgin Mary was espoused to Joseph. In that same way, you are now married to Jesus. Look at what Ephesians 5:23-24 says, “23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything. Ephesians 5:23-24 (NKJV). Remember you are that church, and I am that church and we are that church. Now as the church, submit to Christ. You are His Bride, be you man or be you woman, be you boy or be you girl. You are married to Jesus Christ if you are born again. You are His bride now and He is your bridegroom now. I want us to understand that.
- Permit the will of God to eat up your own will.
Permit the will of God to swallow your own will. Allow God access into your will. Allow God to take your will. Permit the will of God to eat up your own will. In other words, heaven must eat up your soul and your will and no in-between. Heaven must eat up your soul and your will, in other word, your will must be consumed by heaven. Your will must be consumed by heaven, must be swallowed by heaven. The seed of the woman must die so that the head of the Serpent must be bruised. People that still have their own will, doing their own things when they want to do it, and how they want to do it, these people have little or no oil in their lamps. I will go through that again – people that still have their own will and are in control of their will, people that have not permitted Jesus to take hold of their will, people that have not surrendered their will to God, people that do their own thing when and how they want to do it, have little or no oil in their lamp. Please don’t be among them. But people who commit their will to Jesus as Jesus did to the Father when He said, “not My will, but Yours be done”. People who submit their will to Jesus, who allow the will of God to rule over their soul and over their lives. People who allow God’s will to consume their own personal will, will have continuous flow of oil in their lamps. In Luke Chapter 14 verse 33, Jesus said, 33 So you cannot become my disciple without giving up everything you own.
Luke 14:33 (NLT Study Bible Text,) In other words, eternity and life with Jesus is for Disciples. It is a life where you give God all so that you will have the all of God. Eternity is the all of God. Jesus also says it this way “except the grain of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it abides alone”. People of God, I tell you the truth. Anyone who abides without Jesus is already dead, in fact is already in hell. I don’t mean this message to be what people title “a message of condemnation”. No. But I want it to be as truthful and as transparent and as raw and direct as possible. So, as I preach to you, I preach to myself. It is either all or nothing. Life with Jesus, eternity with Jesus is all of you or nothing.
- Understand that you need oil on your life to keep you and preserve until the day of His return.
It is only oil that will preserve you.
Your ticket and your visa to enter into the wedding room with the bridegroom is the oil of the bridegroom upon your life. No one can make heaven without oil. The five foolish virgins could not. That is how necessary, and how important and how indispensable that the oil is. So, understand that you need oil to keep and preserve you until the day of His return. It is the oil of God upon your life that gives access into the wedding, into the glorious wedding on the last day. Reading from Matthews 25:6-8, “6 “And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’ 7 Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. 8 And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’” Matthew 25:6-8 (NKJV). Why wouldn’t they go in with the bridegroom without oil? Why would they have to buy oil in other go in with the bridegroom if oil was not necessary? Why didn’t the wise virgins share their own oil? Somethings are sharable. Oil cannot be shared. Oil cannot be bought with money. Oil can only be given and be taken. The Bible says, “the foolish took their lamps and no oil, but the wise, they took oil and their lamps”. There are things I must tell you about oil because, no man can make heaven without the oil.
There are things you must know about the oil, that the oil was so important that the virgins, as believers as they were, as blood washed as they were, as restored as they were, as sanctified and purified as they were, as anointed as they were, if they could not make it without the oil, there must be something about the oil.
Things that you must understand about the oil:
- Only wise believers that are wise can go for the oil. Foolish believers (which I believe very strongly that you are not amongst) go for money, and they go for gold and they go for materials like Gehazi and they lose the oil.
- Oil can never be bought with money. The wise virgins were so polite to the foolish virgins. They said, “No, we cannot share, please go to those that sell and buy and buy for yourselves”. The truth is that, oil can never be bought. Did the foolish buy? No. You will know why. I will tell you.
- Oil can only be given to the believer and believer can only receive oil. Oil can only be poured out on a believer. The believer can only receive the oil.
- Jesus, the Bridegroom, is the only one who gives or releases the oil upon believers. That was why the foolish virgins could not buy because they were going to buy, He left and come into the wedding. So, there was no body to give them the oil. May you not miss Him, may I not miss Him, may we as a church not miss Him.
- This divine oil is released on believers only at the alter of fire set up by the believers. Only at the alter of fire. Jesus said, “Pray to the Lord of harvest, that He will send laborers” (Matthew 9:38). Laborers are people that have oil. Laborers are people that have alters of fire. That is where oil is poured.
- The amount of oil released upon a believer :
- Is determined by the weight of hunger in the heart of the believer. The amount of oil that is released upon a believer is determined by the weight of hunger in the heart of the believer.
- Is determined by the persisting, consistent, intense pursuit of Jesus by the believer for a singular reason – to know Jesus. Not that Jesus will give you money, not that will give you a child or a husband, not that Jesus will give you a house. Not that all those are bad in themselves, No. When you are talking about oil, you are not pursuing Jesus for material wealth, it will not work. It will not happen.
- The oil is the bridegroom Himself. Isaiah 44:3 “3 For I will pour water on him who is thirsty, And floods on the dry ground; I will pour My Spirit on your descendants, And My blessing on your offspring;” Isaiah 44:3 (NKJV). I will pour my Spirit, I will Son, I will pour My Spirit, I will pour my Myself, I will pour My Spirit, I will pour Myself and my blessings upon your descendants. Bridegroom pours Himself as the oil upon the wise believers, those who seek Him diligently, those who pursue Him without ceasing.
- Actually, believers do not carry the oil, because if the oil is the bridegroom, (and truly, the oil is the bridegroom), then you cannot carry the Him. No man can carry God, because Uzzah tried it and God slayed him (2 Samuel 6:6-7). Believers do not carry the oil. It is the oil of God upon your life that carries you. That is why John the Baptist was in the wilderness but the oil upon his life was drawing people for Judea, from Jerusalem, all over the place to him. It was the oil that announced him. Jesus Himself, it was the oil upon Him that announced Him. And you too, the oil of God is about to announce you. The oil of God upon your life is about to announce your family, is about to announce your ministry, is about to announce your children, is about to announce the work of your hand. It is the oil of God that makes life easy. If fact, the distance that you and I will travel in life is determined by the amount of oil upon us.
- God is the oil Himself. God who is the oil Himself is also the consuming fire, and that He does not tolerate coldness and lukewarmness. If you read Revelation 4:2-5, you will find that God is the consuming fire who dwell inside the fire, who clothes Himself with fire, who lives upon the alter of fire. Therefore, God abhors coldness, lukewarmness, prayerlessness, passivity, lack of zeal, lack of passion. In fact God is speaking to people that are lukewarm, God said, “16 But since you are like lukewarm water, neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth!”, Revelation 3:16 (NLT Study Bible Text,). Since you are neither cold or hot, I am about to vomit you out of my mouth. May we not be among them. Your prayer alter most not take a break. If you must have oil in your life, your prayer alter must not take a break. Your prayer life, your personal prayer alter (I am not talking about when your church declares prayer and fasting or when there is 21 days or 31 days or 40 days or 100 days or when there is a program for this or for that), no, I am talking about you. Your personal prayer alter must not take a break. There must not be a time that your personal prayer alter will be cold or will be warm, it has to be ablaze, because, that is where God is, and that is where God pours oil upon you. A glorious destiny like yours must not be watched to be destroyed.
- Oil requires a lamp. Oil requires a lamp wherein it must be poured. It is the lamp that produces the fire and it is also the lamp that produces light. What is the lamp? The lamp simply is the word of God. “105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.”
Psalms 119:105 (NKJV). In fact, God revealed something very very interesting to Zechariah. In Zachariah 4:2-3, 2” And he said to me, “What do you see?”
So I said, “I am looking, and there is a lampstand of solid gold with a bowl on top of it, and on the stand seven lamps with seven pipes to the seven lamps.” 3 Two olive trees are by it, one at the right of the bowl and the other at its left.”
In other words, wherever you see lamps you must see oil and wherever you see oil, you must see fire. Both the oil and fire and the lamp is talking about Jesus. Jesus is the lamp, which is the word of God. Jesus is the oil which is the anointing. Jesus is the fire, because He is the consuming fire. John the Baptist told his audience and he said, “the One that is coming after me, He will baptize you with the Holy Ghost (which is oil), and with fire which is Himself. So, wherever you see the oil, you must trees. What is trees? In the parable of the sower, Jesus said that the seed of the trees is the word of God. So, If you and I must have oil, we must become vessels that revelational knowledge of the word of God. Why is that important? Because God can only pour oil upon Himself. No flesh can carry God. No flesh! God pours oil which is Himself upon the rock. What is rock? Jesus Christ is the rock. So, the foolish virgins knew the letters, they have the lamp, which is the letters, but they had no revelations of the word of God, of the lamp which they are carrying. They did not know that the oil that will make the lamp shine, the oil that will make the lamp ablaze is the bridegroom himself. But the wise virgins knew that the bridegroom is the oil and can only pour himself on whomever is hungry. And they know that the oil cannot be shared because Christ cannot be divided.
I want you to be hungry today and I want you to go over this message over and over and over again and understand that you and I can make haste while there is still light. Many people are quarantined, many people are locked down, there is nothing bad about that. In fact, there is everything good about it, because this is your opportunity now to fan into flame the gift of God which is upon you, which you received by the laying on of hands by (Elders?). This is the time that you can lock yourself in and seek God for yourself. This is the time that you can go and run back to your first love and say I am sorry I missed it, but I am back to you and He will take you back.